JGA Blog listing page

Higher Education Institutions: Trends & Analysis from Giving USA 2021

February 17, 2022


Giving USA 2021: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for 2020, the annual estimates of charitable giving for 2020 by Giving USA Foundation, found that giving reached more than $471 billion—with education reaching $71.34 billion in total contributions—the highest totals in history for both.

Key trends in giving to education in 2020 included:

  • Giving from individuals—the largest source, totaling 69% of all 2020 contributions—increased from 2019. The increase was tied largely to the continued outsized impact of megagifts and giving to donor-advised funds (DAFs). Other giving sources were foundations (19%), bequests (9%), and corporations (4%). Giving USA does not track giving by source specifically to education, which includes higher and secondary education institutions and organizations supporting student success. However, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) reported that 2020 fiscal year giving included 22.3% by alumni and 17.4% by non-alumni (totaling 39.7% by individuals), 33.2% by corporations, 13.6% by other—which includes DAFs—and 13.4% by corporations. Individuals influence many sources of giving to education through family foundations, DAFs, bequest gifts, and family-owned businesses.
Read More..

Fundraising to Pay Off Nonprofit Debt

August 20, 2015

Have you ever considered raising philanthropic funds to reduce or eliminate your organization’s debt?

Raising funds for debt relief is good in theory, but requires a specific approach to gain support from donors. A key to fundraising is aligning the needs of the organization with the philanthropic goals of your donors. Yet, paying off debt is not often high on a donor’s list of projects they want to support.

Read More..

Critical Role of Unrestricted Giving

October 02, 2014

In today’s world, we are offered choices at every turn. Do we buy vanilla ice cream or chocolate or one of 53 other flavors? Do we choose to watch a movie, a home improvement show, or a sports event on TV?

Read More..

Are You Million Dollar Ready?

December 10, 2013


Read More..

The Trustee’s Role in Fundraising

August 25, 2011

by Ted Grossnickle


Read More..