by Angela White
This week, more than 125 communities and over 50,000 people will be celebrating National Philanthropy Day (November 15th).
These celebrations honor the donors who generously give billions of dollars and volunteer hours each year to feed the hungry, clothe the needy, save the environment, cure the sick, and fund systemic and long-lasting change.
You know these donors in your community, and I encourage you to send them a special thank you on National Philanthropy Day to acknowledge the difference they are making in countless lives each day.
JGA is pleased to be celebrating National Philanthropy Day in two cities on the same day -- on November 17th JGA will host a table to celebrate the honorees in Cincinnati, OH at a luncheon and in Indianapolis at a dinner that evening.
And, for all of us who try to emulate these philanthropy leaders, check out Change the World with a Giving – and Wise – Heart! and watch the video for tips on giving wisely, including:
- Plan your giving – create a giving plan that details how much you want to give, when you would like to give and what type of charities you want to support.
- Decide when you will give – some charities struggle in Spring and Summer when giving drops significantly.
- So many charities – educate yourself about the many charities looking for support
- Knowledge is power – thoroughly research those charities you identify
- Financial data is important, but doesn’t tell the whole story – review financial data, but don’t use it as the only metric to whether a charity fulfills its mission.
- Know your rights as a donor – review the Donor Bill of Rights and make sure you are treated fairly.
- Give from the heart – give to support those charities you truly believe in.
Happy National Philanthropy Day!